ORNAMENT FOR CLEAR REALIZATION (ABHISAMAYALAMKARA)
September 2013 - July 2016
The Ornament for Clear Realization (Abhisamayalamkara) by Maitreya is a commentary on the Perfection of Wisdom (Prajnaparamita) texts that serves as a support for understanding the profound teachings on emptiness. It includes a detailed explanation of the spiritual paths of hearers, solitary realizers, and bodhisattvas, together with their clear realizations and abandonments on the various paths.
It discusses the precepts and methods for obtaining the meditative stabilizations, clairvoyances, signs of irreversibility, and qualities of buddhahood, including the thirty-two signs and eighty exemplifications, the four buddha bodies, and the final result: omniscience.
- Ornament for Clear Realization by Maitreya
- The Commentary: Clear Meaning by Haribhadra
- The Explanation: Ornament of the Essence by Gyeltsab-Je
SUPPLEMENT TO THE 'MIDDLE WAY' (MADHYAMAKAVATARA)
September 2016 - December 2017
The Supplement to the ‘Middle Way’ (Madhyamakavatara) by Chandrakirti explains emptiness as presented by the Madhyamaka-Prasangika system of tenets. The main body of the text consists of ten chapters, each one associated with one of the ten perfections and one of the ten grounds of a bodhisattva. The study of this text leads to an understanding of great compassion and how it serves as a cause for generating the mind of enlightenment (bodhichitta). This text also sets out the various levels through which one proceeds to the completion of all ten perfections and the attainment of enlightenment.
- Supplement to the 'Middle Way' by Chandrakirti
- Explanation of the 'Supplement to the 'Middle Way'' by Chandrakirti
- Illumination of the Thought: An Extensive Explanation of Chandrakirti’s 'Supplement to the 'Middle Way'' by Lama Tsongkhapa
TREASURY OF MANIFEST KNOWLEDGE (ABHIDHARMAKOSHA) and COMMENTARY ON VALID COGNITION (PRAMANAVARTTIKA)
February 2018 - December 2018
Dharmakirti’s Commentary on Valid Cognition is a fundamental treatise on Buddhist logic and epistemology, presenting the reasons that prove past and future lives and the possibilities of attaining liberation and buddhahood, through valid cognition (pramana).
Vasubandhu’s Treasury of Manifest Knowledge is a vast description of the outer and inner world according to Buddhism: the various types of migrating beings and their realms; their causes - which are actions and afflictions; minds and mental factors; and the spiritual paths and those who traverse them.
The teachings on Valid Cognition will focus on logical inference and the establishment of valid authority, while the teachings on the Treasury will focus mainly on the chapters presenting actions (karma) and afflictions.
- Treasury of Manifest Knowledge by Vasubandhu
- Clarifying the Path to Liberation: An Explanation of the ‘Treasury of Manifest Knowledge’ by Gendun Drub, the First Dalai Lama
- Commentary on Valid Cognition by Dharmakirti
- Elucidating the Path to Liberation According to the Pramanavarttika by Gyaltsab-Je
GROUNDS AND PATHS OF SECRET MANTRA
February 2019 - December 2019
Lama Tsongkhapa's Great Exposition of the Stages of the Path of Mantra presents the most important features of the four classes of tantra as well as the initiation procedures and particularities of the deity yoga related to each class, with emphasis on the spiritual grounds and paths of highest yoga tantra. This text can be studied together with either Kirti Losang Trinley's or Ngawang Palden's condensed explanations.
To study Grounds and Paths of Secret Mantra, it is necessary to have received highest yoga tantra empowerment (which includes the bodhisattva and trantric vows and the daily commitment of the Six Session Guru Yoga), from a qualified teacher. Note: there will be the opportunity to receive a highest yoga tantra initiation before the start of these teachings.
- Illumination of the Tantric Tradition: The Principles of the Grounds and Paths of the Four Great Secret Classes of Tantra by Choje Ngawang Palden
- Great Exposition of the Stages of Mantra by Lama Tsongkhapa
THE TWO STAGES OF GUHYASAMAJA TANTRA
January 2020 – June 2020
In the last year of the MP, we will receive a thorough explanation of the generation and completion stages of Guhyasamaja Tantra. The presentation of the generation stage includes an explanation of the visualization and generation of the mandala and the deities therein; we will also learn how to carry death, intermediate state and rebirth into the path. The presentation of the completion stage includes the six branches: the isolation of body, isolation of speech, isolation of mind, illusory body, actual clear light, and the union of clear light and the illusory body. This subject is studied on the basis of Lama Tsongkhapa’s A Lamp to Illuminate the Five Stages and the commentaries on the generation and completion stages by Aku Sherab Gyatso.
In order to study this subject, one needs to have received a highest yoga tantra empowerment from a qualified lama.
- A Lamp to Illuminate the Five Stages: Core Teachings on the Glorious Guhyasamāja, King of Tantras by Lama Tsongkhapa
- A Guide to the Generation Stage Path of Guhyasamaja Called ‘Sacred Words of Akshobhya’ by Aku Sherab Gyatso
- A Memorandum to the Expository Commentary on the Five Stages of the Completion Stage of Glorious Guhyasamaja Called ‘Nectar From the Mouth of Akshobhya’ by Aku Sherab Gyatso
- Self-generation Rite of the Glorious Secret Assembly, The King of Tantras: Arranged for Convenient Recitation in Accordance with the Oral Tradition of the Jang Tse College of Ganden