Make an impact by supporting our projects
Our Garden Objectives
In Autumn of 2020 we took ownership of Gachepel – one of the major properties in the village, and the monastery grounds doubled in size! This has presented a wide range of possibilities and a few challenges for our Garden team in management of our park and garden areas.
We aim to provide a tidy, practical and conducive environment for Nalanda’s community, it’s visitors and students, as well as providing a practical and well maintained park for group events and retreats on 2 properties which cover a total area of 65,000 m2.
In addition, our primary garden projects for 2021 are:
- To grow from seed and create a flower garden at Maitreya Pure Land to provide arranged flowers for our altars, rooms, events, as well as gifts and offerings, and generate seeds for 2022 growing season.
- To provide wild flower and meadow flower varieties in order to promote pollinating insects such as honey bees and butterflies. These areas will also incorporate paths and benches.
- To provide our Kitchen Team with a selection of organic fresh herbs.
- To provide our Workshop Team with natural products for filling holy objects such as dried lavender and flower petals. We also hope to explore methods for air drying and storage of herbs (whole flower and flaked) and lavender flowers.
- To become self sufficient in our needs for organic compost soil and liquid fertilizer by building compost bays in a secluded spot in the walled garden area.